Cold outside walls
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cmartel
Labourer
Labourer

Cold outside walls

by cmartel » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:54 pm

Hi, I have a older 1930 home which we bought back in may and now that it is winter we are noticing how much cold air is entering. First let me explain that it has a half basement and rest crawl space the coldest room in the house is the master bedroom. We were able to get under the dining room and masterbed room crawl space and notice NO insulation, nothing, so we first thought that was why the room was so cold, and we went about insulating and putting up plastic under the house crawl space. Didnt help the cold room... Next noticed that the new windows that the old owners had installed SIMONTON windows are crap.. Dont buy them!! there are 3 windows in the room 2 of which are new less then 2 yrs old. And leak cold air like there is no tomorrow so called the installer and he is having some little foam insert made which I can tell you right now is not going to work cause I made my own and stuff the window tracks with foam and can still feel the cold air coming through.. So next plastic the new windows today.. Guess what room still cold if we close the door to the room it is a good 10 degree if not more colder and the older window in the room is the best no drafts coming from anywhere. So why is the room still so cold.. We did an exploritory hole in the wall to see if there is insulation and there is how thick we dont know.. WHAT Should we do next please help...

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:14 pm

cmartel,
Hire/buy a non-contact infrared thermometer and go round the room, this will give you an instant reading of surface temperatures and you should be able to identify the coldest parts.
end

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:15 pm

cmartel,
Hire/buy a non-contact infrared thermometer and go round the room, this will give you an instant reading of surface temperatures and you should be able to identify the coldest parts.
end

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm