Cold spots on rads
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Cold spots on rads

by kbrownie » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:10 am

Hi, Firstly may Wish everbody the best for the new year.

There are some cold spots on downstairs rads around the bottom middle area of them. Could anybody give me advise how to quickly solve my problem.
Boiler is BIASI RIVA COMPACT HE, M96.24SM/C2.
Thanks for help
Cheers
KB

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:31 pm

if they are cold at the bottom and warm at the top its a sure sign that there is sludge in the system. try adding sludge remover to the system, via the header tank is best if you have one. and you could remove the affected radiators, drain and flush with a hosepipe then put them back on, this will help shift some of the muck although there could still be lots gunk in the pipes.

if this fails to do the trick then its probably going to require an expensive power flush, you need to consult a local plumber about this.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi chris_on_tour2002,
Thank's for advise. I had a feeling that's what it was. Just had new boiler fitted over Christmas (I've been away for a holiday). The plumber has not flushed the system through (I called and asked him) He's coming to finish the job this week, says it was best to let it run for a while.
Much appreciated for quality advise, have a Happy New Year
Best Wishes
KB

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:45 pm

The plumber you employed doesn't sound like 'one of the good ones'. Yes the system should be left to run for abit, with descaler or sludge remover added - WITH THE OLD BOILER CONNECTED.

Now your new boiler will be full of sludge, debri etc. If it's not flushed cleansed and inhibitors added (quickly) your boiler warranty is void. And something will probably pack up within 1 - 2 years.

Get him back and give him a chance to do it. Should take a good few hours. He should drain and fill the system 2 or 3 times. Whilst the system is cold and hot. Also ask to see the cleanser and inhibitors he's added.

There's normally stickers on the bottles where he would write the date he added it, and stick this on the boiler case.

Hope this helps

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi htg engineer,
Thanks for advise, plumber coming around tomorrow! there is a tub full of inhibitor that he has left, so i'm guessing he intends using that. Now i'm concerned about the damage that could be happening to the boiler. I do know the plumber and comes with good recomondation and reputation.
But I will be asking questions.
Thanks again
KB

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:59 pm