cold wall in loft conversion
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
katiesdad
Tradesman
Tradesman

cold wall in loft conversion

by katiesdad » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:06 pm

When you convert a loft in an old terraced house, the brick walls in the loft area (party walls) are normally made from solid 9 inch brickwork. So if I run the new stairs up the party wall, the wall below the ceiling is adjoining another ‘warm’ wall. But when it passes through to the loft area it will be adjoining a ‘cold’ wall. Is this normally ignored by the Building Inspector, or do I have to have a nasty looking step in the wall, with some form of insulation behind?

doctor
Labourer
Labourer

polyurethane foam

by doctor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:01 am

Try polyurethane foam for insulation.I have tried ultimate linings polyurethane foam.It’s materials offer high R values, one can use a thinner foam board to have the required thermal resistance one desires. This can be extremely helpful if there are space limitations involved. This strength involved the ability of the foam to resist deformation and the ability to main its shape when forced or loaded down.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:34 am