Cold water downstairs, but nothing upstairs
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Lizbeth
Labourer
Labourer

Cold water downstairs, but nothing upstairs

by Lizbeth » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:50 am

I have a combi boiler, but not sure if this is at fault or whether I have a frozen pipe somewhere in the system.....any thoughts/advice/guidance gratefully receieved!

The cold water supply downstairs is working fine, as is the central heating, however I do not appear to have any hot water either upstairs or down and the toilet and cold tap in the upstairs bathroom are not working either.

I live in an old house, so it is hard to tell exactly where the pipe work goes (there is nothing in the loft though as I have already checked this), but having been here c. 8 years, I have never experienced this problem before - of course I am not sure it has ever been quite this cold though either!

I am at a bit of a loss as to how to find the issue and whether there is any chance that it is the boiler that is at fault in some way (I have cover for that!!).

As I said, any thoughts, advice or guidance would be gratefully receieved!

Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:48 pm

The most likely culprit is a frozen feed pipe to upstairs and it's going to be between the mains stop tap and the boiler. A boiler fault won't stop water flow, it just won't heat it.

You need to trace the pipe from the stop tap and identify where the cold is getting to the pipe and freezing it.

Remember frozen pipes can burst so be prepared and turn the stop tap off if the house is to be left unoccupied for any time at all.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1