Cold water not Heating
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
harryw1000
Labourer
Labourer

Cold water not Heating

by harryw1000 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:21 pm

The problem seems to be the cold water , the pipes have condensation constantly and even with the heating and emertion on dont get warm .
There is no leak on the system as i have had this checked but the plumber cant seem to explain it any Ideas would help

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:49 am

Hi Harry,

IMO it's the ambient temp & humidity thats the problem.

Have you got any vents?
Is the place not warm most of the time?
You could try waterproof lagging

Hth

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:46 am

Harry.

You need to provide more detail and specify precisely what is the problem.

Which pipes don't get warm? I wouldn't expect cold water pipes to get warm.

Are we talking domestic hot water or heating?

Can you describe your system please.

Thanks.

harryw1000
Labourer
Labourer

by harryw1000 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:50 am

Howdy ,

I will try be more specific now ,

All the cold water pipes in the house are covered i water consistantly , the hot water cyclinder will not heat up with the heating and emertion on .

The problem is only recent as I have just had the waterfeed to the washing machine changed and one of the radiators was taken off and put back on , ever since the water has been freezing .

The heating works fine it heats all the radiators no probs , Sorry if that caused confusion .

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

by Dave From Leeds » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi Harry,

Since you say that one of your radiators was taken off, it could be that when the system was refilled after this the radiators have all filled up but there may be air trapped in the heating coil inside your hot water cylinder preventing the boiler from warming the cylinder. It may also be that your immersion heater hasn't worked for a while, because it seems unlikely that both systems would stop heating the water at exactly the same time.

To check for air in the coil first of all make sure the heating system is turned off. Then find two pipes going into the side of the cylinder one directly above the other. Loosen (don't remove) the connection for the higher one of these pipes to the cylinder. Any trapped air should then come out followed by water in the same way as using a radiator bleed valve. Then retighten the connection.

Also get your immersion heater checked out. Good luck.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm