Cold water pipes knocking! Where to start?

Postby Vic112 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:07 pm

Hello

All of a sudden our cold water pipe makes a loud clunk noise when you turn the bathroom or kitchen cold tap on, or when the washing machine is on.

The houses on either side of ours have both recently been gutted and renovated but I doubt this would effect our water pipes would it???

Can anyone suggest why this might be happening and what we can do to fix it.

Thanks
Vic112
Progress to next rank:
31.6%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby collectors » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:28 am

Had the same problem with my house (that has a shared main) when they raised the water pressure in our area.
Its normally down to a loose pipe somewhere & would be best found & secured with a clip or if under the floor some pipe insulation put around the knocking part.
In my house i got away with just turning down the main stop cock. But this not recommended if you have a combination boiler that's not on its own water supply from the main stop cock.
collectors
Progress to next rank:
32%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!