Cold Water Tank Very Slow to Fill After Replacing Float Valve With Like-for-Like Replacement
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Steve144
Labourer
Labourer

Cold Water Tank Very Slow to Fill After Replacing Float Valve With Like-for-Like Replacement

by Steve144 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi, I am hoping that somebody can help me.

My cold water storage tank has always been slow to fill, which caused problems with me having a shower/wife having a bath in quick succession. Not ideal but manageble. Recently I had leakage from the overflow pipe so replaced the float valve which was knackered, and this solved the problem. It was a like-for-like replacement, high pressure part 2 float valve (from wickes).

However, since replacing it, the water coming into the tank is ridiculously slow, no more than a trickle - now a big problem at bath/shower time, and it has become a race to see who can get up earliest to get the water.

There is nothing wrong with the water pressure in the house and just to test I removed the valve and let water flow directly from the pipe into the tank for a few seconds. The flow of water direct from the pipe was fine.

Is there therefore something wrong with the valves that I am using that is slowing down the water flow to a ridiculous level. I have read on a forum somebody suggesting using a low pressure valve instead, but also people saying not to do this as the water feed is direct from the mains so I am confused.

Any help would be apprecieted!

Thanks

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Cold Water Tank Very Slow to Fill After Replacing Float Valve With Like-for-Like Replacement

by lets have a look » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:39 am

The problem is the orifice, look at ballvalve repair kit box you will see 2 plastic bits 1 red 1 white,you have a white one,this is blocked,dismantle the ballvalve clean out the debris,reassemble and it will work fine

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... her+repair)

Steve144
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Cold Water Tank Very Slow to Fill After Replacing Float Valve With Like-for-Like Replacement

by Steve144 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:53 am

Thanks, I will try this, although I put a complete new ball valve on last week (i.e. through the side of the tank and joining onto the copper pipe) so would be surprised if it is blocked.

Steve144
Labourer
Labourer

by Steve144 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:41 pm

Ok thanks I will try that although I changed the whole thing last week right back to the copper pipe so would be surprised if it is blocked.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:28 am