Colour of Pointing Mortar of Gable End Mortar Joints
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Frenchman69
Apprentice
Apprentice

Colour of Pointing Mortar of Gable End Mortar Joints

by Frenchman69 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:44 am

Hi Guys

My gable end bricks are lacking mortar in some areas, I think due to prevailing winds, and living 1/2 mile from the sea.

Being 72 but reasonably fit, I try to do what I can to save money, so decided to re-point to do so.

Trouble I am having, is matching up the mortar colour, I start using 3 in 1 using red building sand, but some has dried VERY grey, so now I have gone to 4 in 1 which is better.

Are their any guide lines or has one got to use his eyes simply, our present mortar seems to have a slightly pink colour or maybe beige.

The bricks re unlike common, they have fancy squiggly lines, so I find it hard to wife off mortar if it goes on them, so they dry horrible, especially if its grey.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Colour of Pointing Mortar of Gable End Mortar Joints

by welsh brickie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:47 pm

try lime in the mix cement lime sand 1.1.4. to clean mortar off the bricks use brick acid

Frenchman69
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Frenchman69 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:35 pm

Welsh brickie

So does the lime sort of take over what the 3in 1 or 4 in 1 colour would be ?

I certainly will buy some, also brick acid as I have heard both mentioned a lot on forum.

Normal safety precautions I assume with the brick acid?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:52 pm

lime alters the color and acid breaks down the cement when its set

Frenchman69
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Frenchman69 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:40 pm

The lime certainly altered the colour, it came out almost white, yet I did a 1x1x4.

And the brick acid was a disappointment, and I think the reason was, instead of any mortar left on bricks being easy to wipe off like on common, my bricks have a serrated grooving pattern, so it was hard, and I tried various small brushes to help.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:09 am