Combi boiler probs
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
zacpmac
Labourer
Labourer

Combi boiler probs

Post by zacpmac » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Some time ago I had a problem with my Vokera 24 so got a corgi engineer to come fix it, out of curiosity I enquired about the price to replace it and he told me he would have to do all the gas pipe-work from the front to the back of the house, due to the regulation size changes on pipework and so at that point decided it was beyond my means.

I have had another problem with the boiler and this time it has been
condemned by both the british gas engineer and also his supervisor.

They did quote a price to replace it but at the same time stated I could get the job done much cheaper by a private engineer at which point I mentioned the pipe sizes and they answered that it doesn't matter.

Now I'm confused, I think I would rather trust bg than the guy I had before due to a couple of mistakes he made but wondered if anyone can shed further light on it for me.

The present boiler has been in for 9/10 years and so would be whatever pipe sizes they used back then, so has it changed and is it compulsary?

I have found a brand new boxed Vokera 28 and wondered if an engineer would be able to just slot it onto my present fittings, the handbook and all
specification is shared by both models but am i just grasping at straws?
would appreciate any advice.

I've had a look at the 'tap' that the gas board removed (when they 'capped' it) and it does measure 22mm one end and 15mm the other, I seem to remember the first man saying that he would have to lead all 22mm through the house under the floors or he could possibly lead it around the outside as it is a semi, but he would have to check....would that make sense?

The pipe leading from the boiler is 22mm, the pipe from the wall 15mm.
The confusing part is the fact that the gas board guys say it doesn't have
to be done, the private guy said it was regulation.

thanks in advance

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:52 pm

The gas pipe must be at leat 22mm from meter to boiler.

'I would rather trust bg than the guy I had before'
Why ? I wouldn't, many people think BG have a good reputation, and being a large company - they're more reliable and more competent that you local engineer - Wrong in many cases I hear about.

This proves it - the guy you had before is right, BG are wrong this time.

htg

zacpmac
Labourer
Labourer

Post by zacpmac » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:37 pm

Thx htg, I have been talking to a plumber who lives a few doors up and he has suggested that he fit the new boiler i have found (on existing pipework) and then get bg down to do a safety check before turning the gas on....would that make sense?

The biggest problem I have is my husband has had to stop work through health, and despite paying Ni (self employed) and also his taxes for 30 years without once claiming a penny from the government, they have now told him that his benefit entitlement is zero. They say that my £163 per week is plenty to pay mortgage etc

We have appealed via CAB but apparently the stamp doesn't entitle him to disability benefits and also due to his illness I have to get this sorted before the cold weather arrives, obviously the only hot water we have is from pans on the cooker so I can't afford to have floors etc ripped up if that pipework has to be done.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:33 pm

'The pipe leading from the boiler is 22mm, the pipe from the wall 15mm'

Can't make any sense of that. All I can tell you is that it must be a comtiuous run of pipe from meter to boiler, minimum pipe size would be 22mm, so if there's 15mm on gas pipework supplying the boiler, it would have to be changed.

'I have been talking to a plumber who lives a few doors up and he has suggested that he fit the new boiler i have found (on existing pipework) and then get bg down to do a safety check before turning the gas on....would that make sense? '

NO, is the plumber a registered gas installer ? if not, by installing the boiler he would be breaking the law - BG may come out, if the piepw size is undersized, or the boiler hasn't been fitted as per regulations, they could RIDDOR report the plumber for carrying out illegal gas work.

htg

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:59 am

Some boilers can have a certain length of 15mm near to the boiler - gas! that is

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1