combi boiler
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nikesport
Labourer
Labourer

combi boiler

by nikesport » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:31 pm

i Have a electric shower feeding from the cold water mains. I have a combi boiler and dont know what type of shower to get. The hot water runs very slow and the electric shower is not powerful at all. I would like a high power shower but dont know if that is possible.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:34 pm

An electric shower should be fed with mains cold water and thus completely independent of the combi boiler.

Do you know what pressure the mains is? If you have a poorly performing shower and slow DHW from the combi at the same time that implies low mains pressure.

A higher power shower would give you a better result BUT the supply cable needs to be suitably rated for the new shower. As this would be notifiable work (one end at the consumer unit and t'other in the bathroom) you need an electrician.

Cheers

nikesport
Labourer
Labourer

by nikesport » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 am

[quote="rosebery"]An electric shower should be fed with mains cold water and thus completely independent of the combi boiler.

Do you know what pressure the mains is? If you have a poorly performing shower and slow DHW from the combi at the same time that implies low mains pressure.

A higher power shower would give you a better result BUT the supply cable needs to be suitably rated for the new shower. As this would be notifiable work (one end at the consumer unit and t'other in the bathroom) you need an electrician.

Cheers[/quote]

i dont know what pressure there is. i wonder if i should just go for a high wattage electric shower ?

nikesport
Labourer
Labourer

combi boiler

by nikesport » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:37 pm

[quote="nikesport"][quote="rosebery"]An electric shower should be fed with mains cold water and thus completely independent of the combi boiler.

Cheers[/quote]

i dont know what pressure there is. i wonder if i should just go for a high wattage electric shower ?[/quote] Hi thanks for that advise. i Have 1.5 bar of pressure. is a electric shower with 10.0kw of power going to give me more water pressure . if so i would be happy with that.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:37 pm

Have you got a mains fed washing machine? If so you can use one of http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=25065 ... 071&m=1228 to check your mains pressure. It will be iro 3 - 3.5 bar usually.

Your mains pressure is NOT the same as the pressure reading on your combi pressure guage.

The electrical rating of the shower will NOT increase the water pressure at the shower.

If you are upping the shower wattage you will almost certainly need to have the cable replaced and the protection at the consumer unit increased. You cannot do this yourself. You need an electrician as stated before.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:04 am