Combi Boilers / Shower units
Fillers, sealants and adhesives for all types of DIY work. Help, advice and information on all aspects of this subject

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ted Cox
Labourer
Labourer

Combi Boilers / Shower units

Post by Ted Cox » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:01 pm

Is it possible to fit a booster pump to a shower unit supplied via a combi (LPG) boiler please?
We are supplied from our own well so we’re not restricted by the law which doesn’t allow people to boost mains water.

johnb
Ganger
Ganger

Post by johnb » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:08 pm

hi ted not recommended really as if the suction from the pump is stronger than combi flow you will get air entering from any open taps or auto vents on boiler, you could fit pump before boiler on cold feed in, but this would require a flow sensor either integral to pump or separately if your boiler is performing at its best no pump will improve the hot flow rate as it is designed to give its max output to hot water when called for. all the best john

Ted Cox
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Ted Cox » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:04 am

[quote="johnb"]hi ted not recommended really as if the suction from the pump is stronger than combi flow you will get air entering from any open taps or auto vents on boiler, you could fit pump before boiler on cold feed in, but this would require a flow sensor either integral to pump or separately if your boiler is performing at its best no pump will improve the hot flow rate as it is designed to give its max output to hot water when called for. all the best john[/quote]

Thanks John, that's very helpful.

johnb
Ganger
Ganger

Post by johnb » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:50 am

ted just a thought is your shower a combi rated unit it should be all the best john

Ted Cox
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Ted Cox » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:01 am

An electric shower is in place now and having fitted a booster pump to one of these in another house I was trying to find a better solution. In fact, we haven’t moved in yet so whilst I know the boiler is new I’m not sure why they use an electric shower when it seems the combi should provide the necessary pressure. From what you say even fitting a pump on the supply going into the boiler is not going to achieve very much so if the pressure is poor it looks like my days of powerful showers are over!! Thanks for your advice John.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:10 am