Communal Lighting to Flatted Accomodation
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stuart mckenzie
Labourer
Labourer

Communal Lighting to Flatted Accomodation

by stuart mckenzie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:15 pm

I am the owner of a flat (freeholder) within a block of four and I am arranging for the communal or common area to be refurbished ie. hall and stair. Existing lights are positioned above the doors to each flat & are linked into the electrical supply for each property. The problem arises when these lights are not switched on (occupier not home etc.) and in winter months the communal hall can be complete darkness. I would like to fit a communal light that switches on and off with a timer and with payment shared on a seperate bill.

Any pearls of wisdom on how to arrange this would be welcome.

Thanks

Stuart M.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:41 pm

Hi Stuart,
several ways of doing it but it depends on if just one light needed or several on stairs etc.
normally you would have one consumer unit for each flat + a 'landlords supply' con.unit, usually in a hall cupboard with its own meter for common services such as you describe, plus outside light(s), lifts, vacuum cleaner socket etc.
For a basic set up such as I think you have the cost of such a system would never be recovered!
Another way often done is to have an agreed discount for one
co-operative tenant [or owner!] to allow a single low energy fitting to be operated by one or more push button time-out sw. from his/her supply.

Maths: 11watt low-energy light on timer button(s) used say for 5min/tenant/night(X2-in/out)=

11watt/1000=kW X 40 min X 365days/Year X pence /unit [kW-Hr] (say 12P/Unit)= £19.27 per year! or £20/yr OR £5/quarter...

N.B. instead of push button(s) if reasonably high ceiling then a
'look-down' occupancy sw. such as made by Danlars could be used, less prone to 'accidental' damage!!!
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:38 am