Complete rewire Help!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
becki273
Labourer
Labourer

Complete rewire Help!

by becki273 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:42 am

Ive recently bought a house that requires a full rewire, From looking at the electrics ts a bit of a jumble where some new circuits have been added, some taken away blah blah blah! It's all a bit of a mess from speaking to my electrician it seems the easiest and safest and cheapest option is a total rewire. He's also allowed my dad (Carpenter, builder, handy man the works) to lay the wiring and then my electrician will come in to do all connections, testing and certifying.

Our problem is the regulations. Very confused!!

Right what we can't seem to get a straight answer to is the heigh of the sockets and switches. Some people say that because it's a REWIRE and not a NEW BUILD that as long as they are not more difficult to acces they can be placed to suit us. But then others are saying regardless of a rewire or new build they have to follow the 1200mm and 450mm rules.

Here's the very BIG part of our problem!!

We have already laid the wiring and in most cases the heights could be adjusted but in others the wire would be too sohort to change therefor costing us a lot more money and time in chasing out even more!

Someone please help & fingers crossed give me some good news!![/b]

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:26 pm

becki273,
Your question should be addressed to your electrician, he will have to certify the works and issue documentation.
end

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:45 pm

The regulations I think are Part M and can be downloaded for free. There is no need to follow the new height regulations as far as building control are concerned but the electrician who is signing off the work will have to follow the rules that his scheme provider stipulates.

So your only option is to ask him if he can accept the heights as there are as your house could be selected as one of the jobs the scheme provider wants to check so he will of course want the wiring to be A1 and follow the guide lines laid out by them.

I think there are about 16 scheme providers and each one has slightly different rules.

russell fields
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Complete rewire Help!

by russell fields » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:56 pm

for re-wires new heights may be the same as old heights, but all socket outlets must be mounted at least 100mm from floors or worktops

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Complete rewire Help!

by sparx » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Actual wording states "...shall be no worse than before..." so you're OK.

Do stay in regular contact with your electrician who is doing you a HUGE favour allowing you to do some of the install, since he is signing to say HE has done all of the work himself!
It is not permitted under Part P. regs to sign off on 3rd party work, except for those of us who are on LABC's very short list of people approved to inspect on their behalf directly.
This facility rarely being implemented.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:51 am