compression joints weeping
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
plug65
Labourer
Labourer

compression joints weeping

by plug65 » Tue May 12, 2009 7:26 pm

I have successfully used compression joints for a long time. The odd one has leaked after installation, but has been made watertight either by a little extra tightening (I tend to undertighten at first) or a wrapping of PTFE tape.
I have just replaced 2 basins and used 4 flexible chrome connectors, each with a compression joint to connect to the existing pipework. 1 is watertight (Hot low pressure), but 3 (2 high pressure cold, 1 hot)continue to weep slightly, despite extra tightening, a wrapping of PTFE tape. (I even tried a smear of Boss Supergreen PTFE pipe jointing compound - No joy.)
Any suggestions to stop this weeping before I stop crying(and weeping!!) and rip it all out and go back to good old copper pipe, bends and standard compression fittings.

Thanks
Plug65

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed May 13, 2009 10:42 pm

plug65,
Can only suggest you did not clean the old pipe with emery before making the joints.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu May 14, 2009 12:29 am

The method I use for compression is ensure pipe fully pushed into fitting, do it up, take it apart, make sure the olive is tight on the pipe. Do it up again.

Where did you put the PTFE? On the thread or on the olive. The only place its necessary at all is on the olive which does the work. Practically I haven't used it on compression fittings for about 4 years.

To me the answer is tighten them up a bit more.

Where did you put your service valves? I find that you have to get the flexi very square to the end of the vv otherwise the rubber washer doesn't mate exactly with the vv and it leaks via the centre. Could that be your problem?

Cheers

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Thu May 14, 2009 6:25 am

Where did you put the tape/paste?

It should be on the olive only.

Hth

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:30 pm