Computer Speed
Help and advice on software, hardware, configuration and general computing issues and problems

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
B81563
Apprentice
Apprentice

Computer Speed

by B81563 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:11 pm

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can advise me. I don't think my computer speed is very good but cannot see what to do to speed it up.
My machine has an AMD ATHLON 65 processor 3000+, I have just increased the RAM to 1 gig and I have a 2gig processor. I have windows XP home edition (SP2) loaded on it. I have broadband connection via o2 at (I think) 16meg speed and the system says I have an excellent broadband signal. I run McAfee software as it comes with the o2 broadband package and have stripped off all other firewall / SPAM bits and pieces other than the McAfee stuff. I regularly clean up the computer and have defragged it. The system scan hasn't shown up any viruses. I've reduced the number of things starting up at log-on (I hope to a minimum). The one thing I am uncertain about is being aware of what is running in the background and whether or not it's needed. I have uninstalled a number of programmes I'd added on over the months. I have only used about 28gig of hard-drive space with 124 gig remaining unused. Having said all that the problem is that I still have to wait a time for the system to download web pages. Sometimes I just give up it takes so long. People at work say our work's system is very slow compared to home - but mine is 2 or 3 times slower again. A friend solved his problem by increasing his RAM but when I increased mine the change was insignificant if any at all. My only other thought is to strip off my files (mainly photos) which I want to avoid becasue of the time ti'll trake to back up onto CD, and then reset the machine to factory settings. Does anyone have any advice on what else I might try? Thanks in advance. Nick

Springwave
Labourer
Labourer

by Springwave » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:59 pm

I'd be interested to know what browser plugins you had, and ofc the background processes. Those can really slow things down.

I bet if you re-installed windows and only the software you *actually* use, it'll be like a brand new PC.

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:13 pm

if it is slow internet you are having trouble with, RAM and CPU are ulnlikely to blame.

How do you connect?Wireless/router/modem?

If you have a pooh modem that is old that may be your problem.

Also look at how pages are cached and clear out your temp internet files. consider using firefox and not IE.

DIY_Bodger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dont delete anything!

by DIY_Bodger » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:34 am

Its a tough problem alright, but the problem is not with space. it sounds like a software problem. i.e. sumthing is restricting the broadband speed.

You should try uninstalling the McAfee software and installing;
AVG 8 (Free),
Spybot S&D,
Zone Alarm Firewall.

These are all free and they do not let in a single virus or piece of spyware. They are also very low resorce so they dont clog up your broadband, processor or RAM. I myself use my PC for gaming and i use these three for those reasons. Also, very low maintenance. This should help with your problem. If not, you could also try turning off Data execution prevention in the system window in the control panel (or right click my computer nd go to properties) then go to advanced, then performance settings and the Data Execution Prevention. turn it off and add iexplore.exe (internet explorer) and explorer.exe (windows shell) to the list underneath. restart and see if its any better.

Hope this helps!

Jasper
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Jasper » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:20 pm

Sounds like you need to increase your RAM IMO, Windows XP will run alot better with a minimum of 1Gb. Set your borwser to dump the cache each time it is closed, under IE it is set from the Internet Advanced properties.

As nitro23456 mention start using Firefox, you can import all you favourites as part of the install and it doesnt waste as much system resource when running.

Check the condition of the disk also and see if it needs defragging.

J

mraich
Ganger
Ganger

Slow Computers

by mraich » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:31 pm

Just read your input, Jasper. I have been reading about a 'so-called cure' called RegCure which claims to fix all problems. It sounds good but I wonder if there is anyone out there who knows anything about it or who may have used it. Thanks.

mkuner
Labourer
Labourer

by mkuner » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi,

First of all I would uninstall MacAfee as it's no good! It seriously slows down your machine and frankly is just a waste of money!

Now, once you've taken that off, I'd install the following:-

AVG 8 (free) "Google - avg free"
Spybot
Adaware
Ccleaner

Update all the programs to their latest and do full sweeps. I can guarantee that they will find loads of spyware on your machine, which is the cause of your problems.

Finally, if you can upgrade your memory to at least 2Gig, though to be honest it's not needed as your only running XP, but if you upgrade to Vista, you'll need 2Gig minimum, if not 4Gig. Also, install SP3 as that's the latest service pack out for XP.

Cheers

mraich
Ganger
Ganger

by mraich » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:31 pm

[quote="mkuner"]Hi,

First of all I would uninstall MacAfee as it's no good! It seriously slows down your machine and frankly is just a waste of money!

Now, once you've taken that off, I'd install the following:-

AVG 8 (free) "Google - avg free"
Spybot
Adaware
Ccleaner

Update all the programs to their latest and do full sweeps. I can guarantee that they will find loads of spyware on your machine, which is the cause of your problems.

Finally, if you can upgrade your memory to at least 2Gig, though to be honest it's not needed as your only running XP, but if you upgrade to Vista, you'll need 2Gig minimum, if not 4Gig. Also, install SP3 as that's the latest service pack out for XP.

Cheers[/quote] Many thanks, mkuner.

Martin Roy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here are some Handy ways

by Martin Roy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:03 am

1. Reinstall your Window again

2. Keep your C drive a bit larger

3. uninstall unncessary softwares

4. Mcafee is heavy, try AVG

5. Don't try to save the stuff on desktop always , its makes PC slow

6. Instantly delete cookies and temporary files from your internet explorer, and check the speed of net.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:58 am

It is very unlikely anything in the computer will reduce internet speed.
Compared with the internet even the old windows 95 computers are fast.
More likely something wrong with the router or phone line.
I would get a friend to try using your internet with their laptop to prove or disprove what I am saying.
Maybe some neighbour is using your internet? I though O2 was a mobile phone? If using a mobile phone then your connection speed will depend on who else is using internet from same cell.
With wired connection the same applies you share connections and if there is a lot of activity then your speed can drop.
Calling help desk of ISP can help as they can move your connection and test line etc.
Also some router settings can effect speed again the ISP will normally tell you what to do.
Most tests are done with router and it will all depend on router how tests are done but a computer would have to be really slow to affect internet speed.

wilsonsmith
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Computer Speed

by wilsonsmith » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:32 am

Try increasing your OS installed drive's space by utilizing the disk partition. Your PC might probably will boost up after this process.

And always keep your personal folders and desktop clean to enhance your system's performance.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:52 am

Last post was 6 years ago. Since then I have moved from XP to Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 10. I have one old laptop using Vista, and older one using XP one very old using Windows 3.11 but they are not in daily use any more. Kept because I have old programs and hardware which will not work with modern operating systems.

My old laptop had the twin raid solid state hard drives fail, after swapping all hard drives and re-installing Windows moving from Vista to Windows 7 it's a new machine again. The boot time is really reduced.

Wiping hard drives and re-installing does speed it up, but had the drives not failed I would not have gone through all the effort of re-installing programs, it's a real pain.

wadewilson
Labourer
Labourer

by wadewilson » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:45 am

reinstall your computer with win xp

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:48 am