COMSUMER UNIT

Postby MICK101 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:03 pm

HI THERE NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE
JUST HAD A EXTENSION BUILT AND NEED TO MOVE COMSUMBER UNIT ABOUT 5 METERS AWAY FROM METER.IS THIS POSSIBLE BY JUST USING LONGER TAILS (25MM).OR IS THERE A MAX DISTANCE TO FOLLOW
MICK101
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:37 pm

I think there are fire regulations which require local switching at the meter but the consumer unit can be moved which is what happens in a flat. I don't know distance allowed 3 meters seems to ring a bell with any luck Sparx will see this and answer he is more experienced than me for this sort of question.
Eric
ericmark

Postby TOPSPARK » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:34 pm

It is considered If the consumer unit is more than 1 metre away from the point of isolation then a main isolation switch must be installed in front of the consumer unit. However a firemans switch must be installed no more than 2.75 metres from the ground when standing beneath it as stated in reg(537-1). So if you installed the main isolator switch at 1 metre then this would be satisfactory
regards
Topspark
TOPSPARK
Progress to next rank:
31.3%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!