concrete base within existing wood shed

Postby pedestal virgin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:48 am

I have a free-standing wooden shed - actually it's more chalet size - that's in pretty good order...aprt from the wooden floor. It's lying diectly on the souil below and, unsurprisingly, its rotting away. What I want to do is rip the flooring out and replace it with a concrete base. But is it as simple as that? What liners and membranes should I use?
pedestal virgin
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby Hector » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:35 pm

I've thought of this solution myself for an outbuilding I have, constructed by the previous owner who located it at the bottom of a gradient. My floor is rotting also.

Mine sits on an existing concrete drive so I was going to lay the new concrete floor on top and flaunch the outside edge with sand and cement to deflect surface water.

In your case I would have thought a damp proof membrane on a good sub strate would suffice, unless a brickie or ground worker can recommend otherwise. After all it's a shed and dependsnt on your budget
Progress to next rank:

Postby TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:31 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!