Concrete Drive Dusty and Lifting - Was This Layed Correctly?
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tomme
Labourer
Labourer

Concrete Drive Dusty and Lifting - Was This Layed Correctly?

by tomme » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:35 pm

I had a 7ftx10ft drive cemented 2nd April. When walking on it, feels gritty and when brushed up comes sandy/gritty stones? Did he use the wrong sand/cement mix or what? Is there a cement sealer I can use to stop this lifting? Weather was good so no frost or very wet. I am trying to understand 'why?' this is happening so that I can approach the man with some confidence when he attempts to blag his way out of things! Paid him £500. Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Concrete Drive Dusty and Lifting - Was This Layed Correctly?

by welsh brickie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:57 pm

mix was too wet, so the cement in the mix was diluted, but if its not severe then it just needs sealing. A pva solution can be poured and brushed over it, and it will dry clear

Fordie49
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Concrete Drive Dusty and Lifting - Was This Layed Correctly?

by Fordie49 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:52 pm

I installed. Few concrete square area to a residential area last year using a ready concrete lorry and this year about a month or 2 ago they became dusty and stones kept coming off.

I would say it was a poor mixture! I ended up replacing the bay's out of my own costs and dos my own ballast/cement mixes and they seem much better.

Also I sprayed a chemical on the concrete while it was left to dry. DiChem VBA solution! It adds a kind of protective layer.
Spray on concrete and leave for 24 hours and then jet wash off.
It did cost me £216.00 but think it was well worth it!

Good luck with your drive

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:09 am