Concrete drive question ?
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
connorb16
Labourer
Labourer

by connorb16 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:34 pm

Hi , ive just dug out my front lawn for a drive in preperation for some ready mix that i have ordered the measurments are 25 ft x 10ft x 8in ive been told by a freind that due to putting 8in of ready mix in there is no need for hardcore ? i have used scaffold boards so the shuttering can take it , im just looking to get this confirmed that this is ok before delivery next week , would be gratefull for all advise , thanks

rubrenus
Labourer
Labourer

by rubrenus » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:45 am

Maybe you should consider using reinforcing mesh - or you could order your readymix with fibre reinforcement added at the time of mixing. Otherwise you may get cracking later on.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:42 pm

Cracking is due to the concrete drying out and shrinking.
If you a laying on soil or whatever, you must either lay a damp proof membrane to stop the water leaching away into the soil or soak the surface well before laying.
Once down, level and trowelled, cover the area with damp sand. Make sure the sand does not dry out, be specially carefull if the temperature rises above 20 degrees centigrade. Make sure the work is protected from rain and frost. If its expected to be below 5 degrees overnight don't lay.
For best results protect for about 10 days.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:03 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:55 pm