concrete floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
David Moore
Labourer
Labourer

concrete floor

by David Moore » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:57 pm

Hello

I have just taken up the old foor tiles in the kitchen which have been layed in a concrete floor. the concrete is not in the best of shape, and i need to put down a new slate tile foor.
The concrete foor in not that level. it has a type of bitchamin compund on top of the concrete which the old tiles were stuck to, does this matter?

Would the best thing to do be to put down a self leveling compound? If so could you give me some advice on how to do it or a type a compound to use?

Vicki Haselgrove
Labourer
Labourer

Re: concrete floor

by Vicki Haselgrove » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi David,

I am looking at taking up my quarry tiled floor and laying slate tile over the concrete. I have been told that you need to dig out all the concrete. Seems extreme to me and I thought putting screed on top would be ok.
Just wondering how you have got on as it seems that your query is similar to mine.

Vicki

PeterHart020
Labourer
Labourer

Re: concrete floor

by PeterHart020 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:03 pm

[quote="David Moore"]Hello

The concrete foor in not that level. it has a type of bitchamin compund on top of the concrete which the old tiles were stuck to, does this matter?[/quote]

David, I'm having to do the same thing and my sub floor is a kind of bitumen, it's black and plastic in feel. Our house was built in the late 1970's and I reckon it's some form of early DP. I'm trying some test areas and mixing 4-1 sharp sand and concrete for the screed and laying this directly on top of the bitumen/plastic coating. I'll let you know it it all stays bonded to the base.

regards

Pete

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:01 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am