CONCRETE ROOF
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
John Foster
Labourer
Labourer

CONCRETE ROOF

by John Foster » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:05 pm

My builder has run off with a £5000 deposit, has done no work. Now I am £5000 worse off and still need my extension doing. I am now considering demolishing my out buildering myself. However they have a reinforced concrete roof that is not only attached to my house but also attached to next doors outbuildings.
Has anyone done this before, if so how difficult is it? The walls holding the roof up and brick built with a couple of door entrances. I don’t think that part will be the problem. This needs demolishing before I get the extension started, and most of the quotes we have had in to do the work have stated it labour intensive. I can get help from my lads, but I am concerned about the heavy reinforced concrete, taking it down and cutting it up. Does this have to be done by an expert, or can I possibly save some money and do most of it myself.

Any help on this is very much appreciated.

John Foster

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: CONCRETE ROOF

by welsh brickie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:46 pm

its quite simple to do,you will need to use a concrete grinder with a diamond blade to make a neat cut first between you and nextdoor, cut to a depth of about 20mm.
Then using a a heavy hammer drill chip away at the concrete leaving the steel in place,then cut the steel with a grinder.

John Foster
Labourer
Labourer

by John Foster » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:27 pm

Hello Welsh Brickie,

Thanks for your help. Should I be worried about the vibration from the diamond cutter, or the hammer drill damaging next doors walls, roof ?. You say cut down to about 20mm, do I just repeat the process to cut/break through the 6 inch concrete roof. I very mcuh appreciate your advice.

Many thanks

John

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:29 am

there is going to be vibration from the drill there is no way of avoiding it,damage if any will be minimised if you just take your time.

John Foster
Labourer
Labourer

by John Foster » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:53 am

Welsh Brickie,

Thanks for that. Is the diamond cutter the best to use, and to cut up a reinforced concrete roof of 4 x 4m area, will I go through more then one disk, also what size heavy hammer drill would be best to use. The concrete is about 6 inch in depth. I appreciate you help Welsh Brickie, I am getting to feel I could actually do this without damaging next door wall. Will I need a party wall agreement?

Cheers

John

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:45 pm

if your going to hire the equipment then 2 disposable discs for stone will do,a breake 10-15kg will do the job,
Obviously your neighbours will be aware of the noise,keep them informed of exactly what you are doing and listen to their points of view,in my opinion a bottle of wine goes a long way for any disturbance caused.

John Foster
Labourer
Labourer

by John Foster » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:50 pm

Many Thanks, Welsh Brickie,

Yes the noise will be an issue. A couple of bottles and some beers, for when the jobs done. Many thanks for your help.

John

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am