Condensation and Mould Appearing on Wooden Trunk - How Can I Prevent This?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
grandparent
Labourer
Labourer

Condensation and Mould Appearing on Wooden Trunk - How Can I Prevent This?

by grandparent » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:20 pm

I have a japanese folding organ which is stored in its original wooden trunk. It is kept at the bottom of my bed, on carpet with plenty of air circulating around it. I have a small throw on top of the trunk, to protect the wood. I have placed moisture crystals inside the trunk as I found that mould was beginning to appear inside, and the outside of the wooden trunk was also showing signs of mould growth. I would obviously like to keep this item in good condition as it is a family heirloom and was my mothers pride and joy. I have spoken to various friends and colleagues and can find no answer to why I have this problem, and as the wood is a warm substance, and it is standing on a warm surface(carpet with wood flooring underneath) and is well ventilated all around, dont know what else I can do. Our flat is well ventilated and have no real problems with damp elsewhere. comments and replies would be most appreciated.

DIYDoctor1
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Condensation and Mould Appearing on Wooden Trunk - How Can I Prevent This?

by DIYDoctor1 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:24 am

We do have some information on mould and damp (https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/damp-and-mould.htm) but this is geared around in the home, and not growing on family heirlooms.

As it is such a precious family treasure, you need to act not to address this problem - 'a stitch in time...' as they say. Also when you are working on something that is valuable and precious, it is probably worth seeking the advice of a furniture restorer as they will know specifically about the wood used for furniture and possible risk to the furniture when treating the mould. (I don't know any on the forum, but I hope they will pick this thread up if there are any).

In the short term you could try a Moisture Absorber:
https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... evice.html

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1