condensation in attic
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
suzanne hughes
Apprentice
Apprentice

condensation in attic

by suzanne hughes » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:50 pm

Last year in December I went into our attic and discovered the felt on the roof was covered in condensation. We had 6 roof vents installed. After about 3 weeks the condensation had gone. We had no further issues. But I went into the attic yesterday to discover small patches of condensation have returned. the patches are spread out over the felt. There is not one isolated area where the condensation is forming. I am concerned that all the felt will be covered in condensation again as time goes on and the weather is only going to get colder. Any advice because I already have air vents in the attic and there is no water tank in the attic that could be contributing to this issue. There doesn't seem to be any issues with the guttering.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:23 pm

suzanne hughes,
It is quite normal to get condensation forming on the underside of the felt just as it is normal to get condensation on windows in very cold weather.
If you get substantial deposits of condensed water collecting on the floor of your attic then you do not have enough vents installed.
end

eljaybee
Ganger
Ganger

by eljaybee » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:56 pm

You may not have enough air vents, the number required depends upon the size, length, layout etc of the roof.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:51 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:27 pm