Condensation on bathroom ceiling
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thehungarian
Labourer
Labourer

Condensation on bathroom ceiling

by thehungarian » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi

I'm having issues similar to those described elsewhere, with condensation forming on the bathroom ceiling during the cold weather and leading to black mould.

I'm on the top floor of a block of flats and the corner of the bathroom is inset to create a column for the soil pipe, which runs all the way down to the ground. It also extends into my loft from where it has a ventilation outlet on the roof.

It is around this corner that the condensation is forming, presumably because it is the coldest surface? I've applied a mould remover and repainted the ceiling, but the last couple of months the condensation has resulted in the ceiling wallpaper beginning to flake and fall off (again, just in the area surrounding the soil pipe.

My question - does it make sense to try to insulate the soil pipe? The only access is to the part in the loft. Or any other advice as to how to stop the condensation attacking this area gratefully received. I'm running a dehumidifier already.

Thanks in advance
William

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:37 pm

thehungarian,
Pack loft insulation around the pipe and boxing in the loft.
end

thehungarian
Labourer
Labourer

by thehungarian » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:34 pm

thanks Stoneyboy

Wasn't sure if there was any requirement to keep it ventilated.

William

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:28 pm

thehungarian,
Assuming that the boxing-in is not used as a duct for ventilation seal up the top with insulation.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:11 am