confused about earting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
buster
Labourer
Labourer

confused about earting

by buster » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:57 pm

hi,
ive looked through the forum & im still not 100% sure the way to go(too many different opinions) just want a clear answer.
the mains water pipe comes in which im going to bond & send to cu,
then the mains pipe goes to plastic after 1m, then all the pipework throughout the house is plastic even tap & rad fittings [b]except [/b]when attached to the boiler ive run copper for aprox 1m.
The mains gas pipe is bonded on house side & before any joints & sent back to the cu(gas pipe from mains to boiler is all copper).
the thing is:
1. do i need to bond the steel bath & kitchen sink & return to cu
2. do i need to cross bond pipes at boiler & send to cu
or do i need to bother with the above two at all, have i done enough,
thanks very much for your time.[/list]

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:35 pm

See the projects section. Earth bonding in bathrooms.

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:51 am

What you have done sounds OK. But it is so easy to miss read something and give wrong answer. It is considered now earthing short lengths of pipe in a predominantly plastic system may cause more problems then it solves so is no longer done. And of course showers and the like will have there own earth cable but where multi-electrical items are used then cross bonding my be required. Remember under the new regulations everything in a bathroom has RCD protection if you use old system where items don’t have RCD protection you must also do the rest under old system. With two regulations being in force at the moment it is hard to give a full answer and even electricians don't agree as to exactly what is required.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:22 pm

Hi Buster, as Eric says it is a moot point during change over but if wiring is already in place then it will be to 16th regs so old regs apply.
You do not have to bond kitchen sinks.
boiler pipes do not require cross bonding this is a bit of CORGI 'folk-law', and MUST NOT be bonded back to CU. [Most boilers have all pipes connected to a metal 'gland-plate' which is connected to boiler supply cables earth core anyway.]
If all pipes are plastic what would you bond bath to?
I think you have done enough, but I'll bet someone dissagrees!
regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:28 am