Connecting a new light fitting (dimmer)
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NewbieRL
Labourer
Labourer

Connecting a new light fitting (dimmer)

Post by NewbieRL » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi there,

Im in the process of trying to replace a light fitting (lamp with 5 bulbs) that is controlled by a dimmer. Unfortunately, as the ceiling was replastered, the light fitting was taken off and I am having difficulty trying to work out the wiring as the colour scheme does not match....

Out of the ceiling I have the following wires, two black, two red and one green. My first attempt at doing this made the light stay on permanently and after this I gave up.

Does anyone know how the wires are meant to be configured?

Thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:52 pm

I would guess two reds into loop (This does not connect to light it's self) then black with red sleeve to brown (Line) and black without sleeve to blue (neutral) and earths to metal. If two blacks are wrong way around it still should work.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:02 pm

hi under 'projects' @ top of screen is a list of items freq. occuring, this being by far the most common!
If you find one on changing a light fitting it's all there in colour.
basically if you only have 2 twin/earth cables then simply put the 2 reds in a spare connector together (not connected to light) one black to each flex term (blue & brown) plus earths to earth term on light.
You say one green but it will be 2 single earth wires sharing green sleeving, one from each cable.
If you have tried it with 2 reds together & 2 blacks together you may have 'Fubar'ed' the dimmer!
Always work with circuit dead!

NewbieRL
Labourer
Labourer

Post by NewbieRL » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:15 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help. This worked fine. Put the two red in one connector and the others as you explained. Also I did blow the dimmer but put a normal switch in and it is working fine

Thanks again!!!!!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:51 am