Connecting New MDPE mains to Suppliers Lead Pipe ??
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chopperver1
Labourer
Labourer

Connecting New MDPE mains to Suppliers Lead Pipe ??

Post by chopperver1 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:08 pm

Laying a new mains from property boundary to my 30's house as part of an extension.

Existing pipe is lead. I want to connect my new plastic pipe to the lead one (ie the suppliers) at the boundary point

I can't seem to find any adaptors that go from plastic to lead. Local Plumbers Merchant were completely useless.

Is there such a thing ??

((Thames Water board want nearly £1000 !!! :shock: to replace a 0.5m length of lead between boundary and road mains. Robbery. I can think of better things to use the money on right now))

sparty
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by sparty » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:29 pm

I believe there is a plastic connector for exactly this job. Try Screwfix, I'm pretty sure I've seen one in their catalogue. You'll have to measure the size of the lead pipe to make sure you get the correct connector. Plumbers merchants should've been able to tell you all this!!. I find some of them very ignorant and unhelpful!!
Hope this helps
Andy

darond
Labourer
Labourer

Post by darond » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:03 pm

Just done exactly the same on mine. The only way we could find to do it was a lead lock joint (should be able to get from plumbers merchants) to a short run of 22mm copper and then plastic joint onto MDPE.

Hope that helps.

aquamech
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by aquamech » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:04 pm

There is an adaptor available 1/2 NB lead to 25mm MDPE. I would only recommed it as a temorary fix. Why not do the job correctly and have the new plastic pipe connected direct to the service main. You will need a plumber approved by your water supplier to do this. It should not cost to much if you do the prep work. I suspect you want to do the conversion on your property to save this hassle and maybe dig up the pavement to get to the service stop vavle. The water supplier will have specific regulations about the connection at each end and depth of new pipe on you property.

If you do it your self the water supplier will require and inspection by his engineer before you backfil any trench or turn on the supply. The Water Authorities approved plumber can do the connection without another inspection.

I have just had mine replaced aftera ruptured lead pipe .

jack_of_all
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jack_of_all » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:47 pm

Yorkshire Water change lead pipe for free presumably because they owe a duty of care to people using their sevices, Thames Water by not changing toxic lead pipes are in my opinion breaking the law. Try either the OFFICE OF WATER SERVICES or Citizens Advice Bureau.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:10 pm