Conservatories and build over permission
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MrsP
Labourer
Labourer

Conservatories and build over permission

by MrsP » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:42 pm

hello! I've been told I need build over permission before I build a conservatory. There is a 525mm overflow sewer pipe 3m down and 40cm away from the rear elevation of my house. Severn Trent have refused permission.
Does anyone know what the possible consequences may be if I build without build over permission? Is it illegal? Can they make me take it down even if they don't need access ? (how they think they'll get access when it's only 40cm away from the house I don't know!) I don't think I need planning permission as it won't be big enough. Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:19 pm

MrsP,
Whether you need PP will depend on the size of the conservatory and its relationship to the boundaries of your property.
What you must get is Building Regulations approval - you must talk to your local BR department and see if they can suggest a solution.
With the size of the sewer, its depth and proximity to your house some serious reinforcement work must have been carried out.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:35 pm

Generally utilities are unhappy if you build within 3m of their drains let alone 40cm.

If Severn Trent have already refused permission I think you would be mad to go ahead regardless. Perhaps you need to appeal the decision - get a professional on your team to argue your case for you.

Illegal? Well it won't be a Planning Issue but it will be a Building Regs Issue.

What can they do? Knock a big hole in your conservatory to dig up "their" sewer when they want to I suppose.

Cheers

MrsP
Labourer
Labourer

by MrsP » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Thanks. I will look into the legal team response. Severn Trent have already said they won't be able to get direct access to the sewer from the garden because they will have to dig too close to the house. At 40cm away I would expect the house to fall into the hole they'd dig! Which is why I can't understand why they keep saying no...

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:51 pm

Sounds like they are more concerned that the building work may damage the sewer. Its not a small pipe after all.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:50 am