Conservatory Floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
redfield
Apprentice
Apprentice

Conservatory Floor

by redfield » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:24 pm

I'd like some advice on my conservatory floor please. I had the foundations and sub floor for the proposed conservatory laid when I had a new extension built last year. Somehow the builder managed to get the sub floor of both extension and conservatory 135mm below the house floor level instead of 70mm as he calculated. When I did the new kitchen finished floor I had to use 70mm Sellotex and then 55mm screed (with tiles as a top finish) to bring it up to the correct level. However I don't want to have to do this again for the conservatory as I don't have the time or inclination. If I want someone to do it for me I will have to wait at least 8wks. Can I (1) use 100mm Sellotex and then 22mm flooring chipboard with either tiles or laminate wood or 2) use say 100mm x 50mm studwork and then chipboard etc. The new sub floors are built to Building Regs spec with damproof membrane and Sellotex for insulation etc. Any advice would be helpful. Yhanks

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:07 am

If you already have insulation in the slab you will be better off laying a timber floor as you suggest however If you are going to tile the floor make sure that the floor is absolutely solid with no movement at all.

redfield
Apprentice
Apprentice

conservatory floor

by redfield » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:19 pm

Thanks for you advice. Should I bolt the timbers to the concrete slab or will their weight be sufficient?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:15 am

Better to bolt them.

redfield
Apprentice
Apprentice

Conservatory Floor

by redfield » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:01 pm

Thanks very much for your help. This will be just the ticket!!

sgrahamhyde
Labourer
Labourer

Conservatory floor

by sgrahamhyde » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:04 pm

I have exactly the same problem except I want to tile my floor, it is currently 125mm below the level of the kitchen floor which I want the finished hight to be, the builders left me some jablite slabs 50mm and some chicken wire, they said to put down the jablite and then cover it with chicken wire before laying a screed of 60mm leaving 15mm for my tiles and tile cement. So several question arrise:
1. Is jablite suitable for this job (This is what they left me so I am kind fo stuck with it)?
2. Will the chicken wire really be sufficient to stop any movement?
3. Will 60mm screed be enough?
4. Should I use just sharp sand and cement in my screed or should I use and agregate with stones or pea beech in?

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:03 am