conservatory foundation...PLEASE HELP!!!!
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
joejoejoe
Labourer
Labourer

conservatory foundation...PLEASE HELP!!!!

Post by joejoejoe » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:24 pm

Hi i am designing a conservatory for my house and i just wanted to know what would be the ideal dimensions for the foundation? and what materials i should use for the foundation? does anyone know what good books are out there to help me with the detailed construction drawings for the conservatory and the foundations? please help. I have attached my drawings also. :? [color=darkred][/color][size=18][/size][b][/b]

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:25 am

Ask conservatory companies for brochures or get them to give price for the job.
In most circumstances they will provide a detailed price with a portfolio of previous work.
This will at least give some idea of cost and designs available.
Do not just go ahead and build to the size you want consevatory roofs only work to specific measurements.
If you want to do it yourself ask for a supply only price this will give you a plan to work to.
Depth of foundation.
This depends on the ground conditions but width should be 600mm wide
and at least 600mm deep, if you come across pipes you must dig a 450mm
trench under and around it and encase in concrete,and and use a lintel over pipe.
Concrete
Use a concrete company to mix on site they will also barrow it for you this
will save calculating ammount required and mess

Arisands
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Arisands » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:12 pm

The general rule should be what ever the house is built on so should any building constructed adjacent to it, if the house footing is say 760mm deep then the conservatory should be this depth as this is where the good ground is, if the house is piled then piling for the conservatory must be considered, i have seen many conservatories that have subsided due to insufficient foundations and this is the main reason insurance companies throw out claims for subsidence on conservatories, piling isn't as expensive as some claim i should know :wink:

its now only a matter of time till all conservatories fall under building control which should weed out some of the cow boy antics i have seen over the years.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:53 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

rmarley
Labourer
Labourer

Interesting

Post by rmarley » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Very good way to share useful information regarding home conservatories and spread new things and knowledge through discussion.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:54 am