Conservatory Roof Insulation Hot / Cold
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Conservatory Roof Insulation Hot / Cold

by Perry525 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Suzan, I had the same problem, a conservatory that was impossibly hot when the sun came out, we had to rush to open the windows and doors, it was so hot we couldn't be in the room, when it rained the noise was incredible..... and we have a lot of rain.
Solution, fitted a solid roof with 8 inches of polyurethane foam between and below the joists, oriented t&g glued strand board, covered with geotextile material topped by a Firestone rubber one piece roof and one to two inches of pea gravel.
Result, all year round use, heating costs below half, total silence when its pouring with rain, heaven..

Ronco50
Labourer
Labourer

by Ronco50 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:58 pm

nick.j1 wrote:My Conservatory too hot/ too cold was solved by getting a lightweight insulated ceiling installed. Their website is Google "sun-room.org", all I can say is I could not be happier, 1 Day to install - they stayed until 8PM, delightful installers and I now have a room I use all year round.

Nick

I am very interested in your post can you give me a bit more detail eg how much warmer is it after the work, what size conservatory do you have, which region of the country are you in and any other info that would help?

Ron

Emma28
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Emma28 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:21 pm

what windows you guys have in conservatiories? I need to replace old ones:/

DiBaker
Labourer
Labourer

by DiBaker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi Suzan,

It's been a while since your comment but I hope this helps someone. We had the same problem with our old plastic conservatory roof. Got too hot in the summer so we couldn't chill out and relax, and it was so so cold in the winter so we couldn't go in then either. We got had a new glass roof fitted by this company called refresh glass roofs last September. Amazing. I know we didnt have much of a summer last year but it was nice to go into when it did get warm. we couldnt be any happier with it now though, since it has been so cold. So nice and cosy! I hope this helps :)

Di xx

iamjimmi
Labourer
Labourer

by iamjimmi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:04 pm

Anyone have experience of 35mm Corotherm Heatguard Fivewall Polycarbonate or any other Polycarbonate solutions (such as polycool)? Primarily interested in reducing the heat in the summer.

Do these really reduce the heat significantly? If so - any view to how many degrees you could expect to reduce the temp by when compared to a normal polycarb roof?

Pheiffer
Labourer
Labourer

by Pheiffer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:44 pm

I have not read all the responses to this post and hopefully I am not repeating what others have said but replacing the roof on a conservatory will require building control approval because the status of such a dwelling is no longer technically a conservatory, this implies that all existing elements of the conservatory will need to be reassessed to ensure structural and thermal conformance with the relevant regulations.
With regards to the ever present glass vs polycarb roof question
A high performance solar glass(the blue one) performs on par with a 35mm polycarb which sits somewhere between 1 and 1.9 U-Val depending on the product.
Request conformation of the U-Value performance rating for both products knowing that a value of about 1.1 U-Val is very good in regards to the current technology.
I personally prefer glass as it is quieter in the rain and just feels more elegant
some argue that the special Low-e coatings applied specifically to glass help block out certain wavelengths of radiation and will therefore remain cooler in the summer.
The simplest solution is a lightweight internal board in conjunction with an insulation panel. I would suggest a multi-foil insulation as it is both reflective and they have good U-Value performance, however It is worth noting that as yet multi-foil insulation products are not BBA approved and so are not technically recognised as an acceptable application however the internal boarding solution will not require building regs approval so the relevant application is down to your pocket and the on site practicalities

Brad121
Labourer
Labourer

by Brad121 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:34 am

There is also a central heating radiator, which is of some use but not in the very cold weather.

It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:24 pm