Consumer unit cables too short
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SYSTECH
Labourer
Labourer

Consumer unit cables too short

by SYSTECH » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:03 pm

I am looking to replace my ageing fusebox with a new 12 way MCB/RCD unit. However the original wiring has been installed to the fusebox with no slack in either the terminated ends in the box or in cable run in the wall cavity behind and as the Volex unit is considerably longer with the terminal points at opposite ends to those the fusebox configuration I have a problem.
There is no problem with the main incomer as that has been 'S'ed up the wall. Earth's will reach their bus and with some thought I can just about get the live feeds into the new MCB's although not in my intended arrangement of load splitting. The biggest headache is the neutral buses, I am about 5-10 inches short of an acceptable fit with the existing cable lengths.
Being a fairly modern house changing the section of cabling to first junction points means walls, ceilings and floors being ripped out to gain access, just fitted a new kitchen so I'm not damaging that! . Cannot move consumer unit position as nearest alternative location leaves all cables about 1 metre too short.
Any ideas (that comply with BS 7671)? :(

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi by post info I assume you are registered Leckie for part- p so in-line crimps inside consumer unit would be the order of the day, using proper ratchet crimp tool NOT the horrible 'car type',
regards SPARX

SYSTECH
Labourer
Labourer

by SYSTECH » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks for that SPARX, I was'nt a 100% certain on whether crimp jointing complied so your confirmation is really appreciated.
Since posting I have also managed to re-arrange the clip-in bus rails (and labelling) in the new unit to closer match the old fusebox layout so the number of cores needing extending is now reduced.
Whole job would have been a doddle all for 100mm of free slack at the time of the original install.
Regards SYSTECH

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm