Continuity Of Supply
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sandancer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Continuity Of Supply

by sandancer » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:37 pm

We are converting the garage into living accommodation and intend to build a new garage which will abut onto the existing garage wall. The problem is that the supply head will have to be transferred to the inside of the new garage which which will be about 3.5 to 4 metres from the existing supply position. We will request that the DNO fit an isolator.The question is---Would we be allowed to run a temporary feed from the isolator to the existing CU pending the installation of a new CU and the extension of the existing wiring, to ensure continuity of supply?

I am a retired electrician and am fully aware of the need to notify building control etc.but since my experience has been mainly on the industrial side of things, I am not familiar whys and wherefores oe the DNOs

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :?: :?: :?:

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:20 pm

First off not sure what you mean by supply head but you will have to have a mains isolating switch fitted but you can still use existing power whilst the new installation work is being done as long as main earthing is intact.Then have new consumer unit in place and install new circuits and once new board is energised get your skates on and extend existing cables to new C U and then test and certify .Dont forget to extend main bonding of services as well as circuits and main earth also.
regards
Topspark

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:37 pm

Hi, I can see no reason why not as long as you fit a switch fuse less than 4 metres from intake with tails to isolator then you can run a temporary 'sub-main' to old con. unit from your switch fuse.
This is no different from a new build 'builders supply',
regards Sparx

sandancer
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sandancer » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:55 pm

thanks for your prompt replies topspark and sparx. job still at planning stage your advice is greatly appreciated
regards sandancer :lol:

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:23 pm