Controls and central heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fredthetread
Labourer
Labourer

Controls and central heating

by fredthetread » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:10 pm

This is probably a totally stupid question and if so I apologise beforehand.

I have a central heating system with a boiler and control panel etc but the control panel is only for central heating and not hot water.

To get the system to heat the water too do i need new pipes etc or is it possible to get a new controller that will operate both the central heating and water too

Thanks

Fred

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:18 pm

Hi FTT,Not much to go on here but some? may help;
Is this an oldish system, in which case hot water to tank may be gravity fed so not pumped & only control is blr on / off.
Are there any other controls ie motorised Valves, tank thermostats etc . have a good look @ what you have got first.
presume of course this not a Combi system with hot water on demand?
regards SPARX

fredthetread
Labourer
Labourer

by fredthetread » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:17 pm

SPARX

Thanks for getting back to me

The details that I know of are as follows:

It is a Kingfisher 2 Boiler
We have an immersion heater with a tank above it and another tank also -not sure what they are as I am totally untechnical.

It doesnt seem that old but I wouldnt know as only been in the house 18 months and just getting round to trying to get this sorted.

It definitely isnt a combi as we had one in our last place and I would definitely know the difference - even me

how would i be able to tell any of the other information you asked for

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi Fred ,
look on side of lower tank for wires to a small rectangular thermostat, I believe what u have is a 'Fortic' cylinder which has an inbuilt upper head tank, if gravity fed system there will be only a couple of quite large pipes going in to lower tank, 1 near top & other near bottom.
if several small pipes with valves with flex attached then could be fully pumped system, in which case you may be able to alter programmer but I think you have pump on timer for heating only because gravity system, if still unsure ask local plumber to advise best course of action.
BTW how do you get hot water at the moment? Electric immersion heater?
BTU regards SPARX

fredthetread
Labourer
Labourer

by fredthetread » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:58 pm

SPARX

I will check this out over the weekend see what I have got.

I do indeed currently use the Electric Immersion Heater for hot water and will need to remortgage the house to pay the electricity bill

Cheers

Fred

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1