Conversion of gas fireplace to coal fireplace - help!
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jeff McG
Labourer
Labourer

by Jeff McG » Wed May 28, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi,
Not sure if this is eactly the right thread to post this on but hopefully someone can help.
I have moved into a house with a fireplace that is semi-converted to gas. It has a pipe that runs from the side of the chimney breast under the floor an up through the base of the fire - ready for a gas fire. The problem is I don't want a gas fire. So I intend to try and remove the pipe from the base of the fireplace. Its an insulated pipe though and I was wondering if anyone knows how far down I need to dig it out and what I need to do to it and the base of the fireplace before its ready for a coal fire.
Thanks in anticipation

Jeff

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:56 pm

Perhaps will make things a bit clearer?
Are you writing about a live gas pipe or a pipe bringing ventilation to the base of a fire?

Jeff McG
Labourer
Labourer

Gas pipe

by Jeff McG » Thu May 29, 2008 12:14 pm

The pipe is designed to take gas into the base of the fireplace but it hasn't been connected to the gas supply. At the moment the other end exits the floor beside the chimney breast and alongside the chimney breast is another pipe that comes up through the floor which has a sealed end and is the gas supply. So basically we're talking about an unconneted pipe (I blew through one end to check!) that comes up through the base of the fireplace.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:52 pm

The pipe is probably just under the surface for cosmetic reasons, just break open the surface and pull it out. Use a normal mix of sand and cement to repair the damage. I expect your lady will require some nice tiles to finish the job and make the fireplace presentable.

Jeff McG
Labourer
Labourer

pipe

by Jeff McG » Fri May 30, 2008 1:57 pm

Thats great - thanks.
Jeff

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:04 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:43 am