Convert plugged transformer to lighting ring.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stuartgmilton
Apprentice
Apprentice

Convert plugged transformer to lighting ring.

by stuartgmilton » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:50 pm

Hey guys,

This is my first post, so go easy on me please!

I have just decorated our bedroom and have a large built in wardrobe which I would like to illuminate. I have just bought some lights very similar to these...

Google "homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=0021656&c_2=2|cat_16849318|Spotlights|14418024&c_1=1|category_root|Lighting|16849318"

Now, it comes with a transformer, terminated with a standard 3 pin plug. The terminator the following details...

Electronic Transformer for LV-Halogen Lamps
Prim.:230-240V~50Hz 0.35A
Sec.:11.6V~rms Max 6.7A 20-80W

I would like to have this light come on when using a standard light switch - is this possible?

Would I be better off stripping off the plug and wiring directly as if it was a standard light, or should I take off a branch from the lighting ring, and have the switch control a socket which the transformer is plugged into?

This second way, sounds very dirty, but it was my dads idea, and he is older and wiser, but I thought I would ask you guys first.

Thanks for a fantastic website by the way, some of the posters on here are very very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Stuart

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:02 pm

There is northing to stop you connecting the new lights to the main ceiling lights but you say wardrobe. Now what will happen with hot lamps inside a wardrobe? Will there be a fire risk?

422.3.1 Except for equipment for which an appropriate product standard specifies requirements, a luminaire shall be kept at an adequate distance from Combustible materials. Unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer, a small spotlight or projector shall be installed at the following minimum distance from combustible materials:
(i) Rating up to 100 W 0.5 m
(ii) Over 100 and up to 300 W 0.8 m
(iii) Over 300 and up to 500 W 1.0 m
NOTE: A luminaire with a lamp that could eject flammable materials in case of failure should be constructed with a safety protective shield for the lamp in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

Now that is the real problem. Fire. And I would be using LED or Cold cathode lamps to make sure nothing gets too hot. Now you will note 20 - 80W that means it's not a pure transformer but an inverter and it needs of load of at least 20W to work correct. LED lamps therefore are no good and cold cathode lamps will not fit as they are longer than standard ones.

So I would return the whole set-up and get something designed for a wardrobe that give a low heat and has a switch door operated so it auto turns off when door is closed.

Ikea do a INLOPP Cabinet lighting at £5.99 you will note it has built in switch so closing door switches it off. I found it at Google "ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90021456" I am not saying shop in Ikea but I find web site easy to find bits in to give you an example.

I know many advertise the lights you have as wardrobe lamps and they look great but either you need to be able to put your hand on lamp without burning hand or it needs to auto switch off. There are many battery powered wardrobe lamps and considering how long they are used for likely best option.

stuartgmilton
Apprentice
Apprentice

by stuartgmilton » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi ericmark,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. First off, the bulbs are 20Watt halogens, I was considering having 2 of them on the "Inverter". I also had looked at a magnetic door switches, but due to the design of the sliding doors, I don't think this option would be workable. I then though about a IR detector, but thought it might not be brilliant.

Now, I will explain further, as I don't think I have very well yet. Our built-in wardrobe has the top 1/3 as a shelf, the bottom 2/3 is where the clothes go. The top 1/3 is possibly 80cms in height (but I'd need to measure it). This shelf is going to have boxes of games etc on it.

So yeh, I guess I should probably put them back, but I just wonder whether there is enough of a gap, or whether I should put them back and just go for a utility tube light.....

Thanks again,
Stuart

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:46 am