Converting a Truss Roof Attic

Postby Low Pressure » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:59 pm

Hi all

I have recently bought a house which unfortunately was buit with a truss roof.

If I want to convert my attic, can someone give me advice or the benefit of their experience of doing this.

Will I need a structural engineer to do the design or will an architect do this ?

I intend to do all the work except the roof conversion and floor installation myself to keep costs down.

Thank you for any advice or insight you can give me.

Last edited by Low Pressure on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Low Pressure
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:36 pm


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:32 pm

Low Pressure,
Find yourself an architectural technician, you don't need an architect to draw up a loft conversion. Ask your local BC department if they have any contacts in the business - they may say no. Otherwise have a look on line at recent planning applications and you should be able to find one that way.
Posts: 2715
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Postby TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:18 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.
Site Admin
Posts: 1382
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 am

Postby michaelbailey » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:55 pm

loft conversions do not require planning permission. do not under any circumstances cut into the trusses you don't mention what type of property semi terraced or detached . I have designed and d done many loft conversions a little more info would help
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics