cooker and extractor help
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
roberto
Apprentice
Apprentice

cooker and extractor help

Post by roberto » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:52 pm

I have a cooker switch wired via a spur from a plug socket to the fuse box with a 30 amp fuse...I want to get rid of it as i have a gas cooker. I Want to install an extractor fan above cooker, can i run the cable from the extractor into the socket with the spur via a switch/fcu? hope someone makes sense of this and can help?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:34 pm

roberto, I don't see why not.
Your best option would be a switched Fuse Spur which can be rated correctly for extractor fan and wlll offer a means of swithing/isolation.
This would be best placed above worktop.
KB

roberto
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by roberto » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:19 pm

i turned off the switch in my fuse box with cooker on the label thinking the cooker switch was off, took the plug apart and it went bang! where would the power be coming from? i tested both the plug sockets before i took it off and they didn't work? would the cooker switch have 2 power supplies? please help if you understand?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:16 am

Hi roberto,
If it is on a ring, sometimes you may find that the circuit has not been correctly wired and the outgoing/return neutrals and lives have been connected to two fuses (this is not a safe way to do this) So could be another fuse connected to circuit or the cooker fuse does not supply the cooker!
You should always make sure you have correctly indentified the circuit and it is dead before any work is carried out. I would now be asking does your voltage indicator work or have you got a faulty socket. Have you carried out the correct proceedures for safe isolation. If you don't understand them get an electrician in or you could end up getting injured.
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:29 pm

Roberto, this is one reason why wiring in a kitchen is a 'controlled service' under building regs.Part-P!& not DIY.
I truly don't believe you understand the wiring in your house, PLEASE get some one in before you get hurt!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:38 pm