cooker socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

cooker socket

by greengrass » Thu May 24, 2007 12:31 pm

Reached another problem re-fitting the kitchen.
One of two cooker sockets will be approx 80mm from the hob when the hob is fitted.
What is the regulation distance the socket has to be away from the hob. .
It feeds as spur which will be re-used for the hob ingintion system so cannot be disconnected. If it has to go can I replace with a blanking cover fitting the wires in to terminal blocks and leaving them in the patress. I cannot connect to the other socket as it has enough wires in now and I won't be able to get hob cable in there.

Its currently holding up completion so early reply would be appreciated
Many thanks
Greengrass

pdenni
Apprentice
Apprentice

by pdenni » Thu May 24, 2007 7:58 pm

hi there

There isn't a definitive reg on distances from hobs or sinks, but N.I.C.E.I.C State at least 300mm, common sense will tell u that 80mm is at risk of burning the outlet, the other thing is you said it also controls the hob ignition, what is the rating of the hob ignition because if you have taken it from say a 45amp isolator you are not protecting the hob correctly and it should really be on a seperate isolator at under 13amps, the specs on the hob will tell u, thats assuming ive understood correctly and its a gas hob and electric cooker.

Add
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Add » Thu May 24, 2007 9:35 pm

Hi,

no sockets above the hob,minimum 300mm from the edge of the hob (and draining board/sink) and 150mm above the work surface plus to comply with regs the socket should be between 450mm and 1200mm from the finished floor level. Hope this helps.

Add

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: cooker socket

by greengrass » Thu May 24, 2007 10:52 pm

[quote="greengrass"]Reached another problem re-fitting the kitchen.
One of two cooker sockets will be approx 80mm from the hob when the hob is fitted.
What is the regulation distance the socket has to be away from the hob. .
It feeds as spur which will be re-used for the hob ingintion system so cannot be disconnected. If it has to go can I replace with a blanking cover fitting the wires in to terminal blocks and leaving them in the patress. I cannot connect to the other socket as it has enough wires in now and I won't be able to get hob cable in there.

Its currently holding up completion so early reply would be appreciated
Many thanks
Greengrass[/quote]

Thanks pdenni & Add.

All elecs were in place when I moved in I did not wire it in for the hob.
Fed from attic [bungalow] not accessable due to truss roof layout.
Fuse box has two 5amp lighting, 2 15amp and 4 30amp, probable two of the 30amp are wired for 40amp. I am changing all to the plug in MCB fuses when I find £68 spare.

This was mentioned in the first posting above and nobody picked up on it

I thought of fitting terminal blocks on the wires and plating over with steel plate earthed via patress box earth. then tiling over. I have taken pictures and log of all elecs in kitchen to be included in the HIP when it does eventually come into force.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:45 am