cooker switch

Postby JSS » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:06 pm

Can someone please advise me on the following. I would like to reposition my cooker switch with socket further along the wall that it is already on as I would like to reposition my cooker and fit a cooker hood. Can I also take a spur of my cooker switch and fit a new switch that I could connect the new cooker hood into.
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:57 pm


Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:50 pm

The short answer is no for several reasons, first to move the cooker control switch along the wall would have to be done by rerouting it completely as if you simply move it by adding a length of cable to extend it sideways would contravene regs unless you leave a cover plate over the original box visible for access to connections. To spur from the existing cable to hood supply would mean either running it in same size cable as cooker or fitting a fused connection unit adjacent to cooker unit with very short cable then run up to hood with 1.5mm2 cable fused down at FCU to say 5A.
Finally this is all controlled service under part-p of bldg regs. as in kitchen,
regards SPARX
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Postby JSS » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry that I did not explain myself very well. What I was proposing to do is what you are suggesting. I was going to cover the existing box with a access panel and run the cable downwards from the existing position and I was then going to run a fused connection unit from the new positioned cooker switch and then connect FCU to the new cooker hood as you have suggested. The only issue I do have is I would like to position the cooker switch to the right by 12" if possible when I have dropped the cable down from the existing unit. Will this be ok if not reading your reply can I still drop the cable down and position the new switch directly under the existing switch and then connect the FCU.
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:57 pm

Postby ericmark » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:53 pm

Cooker switches can be moved but the cables would need to move as well and the areas where the cables can be run are up, down, or horizontally but not both. Anyone who is qualified to install the switch will be able to advise exactly what is allowed. I can't quite understand what you want to do, it the cooker switch only going to supply a hood? You talk about a fused connection unit (FCU) which would not supply a cooker. But since it will be in a kitchen it will be under Part P unless Scotland and you will need an electrician to fit it so better asking a man on site who will better understand what you want to do.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics