Cooker tail extended limit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
oldspark
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cooker tail extended limit

by oldspark » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:53 pm

I need to move the electric over from one side of the kitchen to adjacent unit approx 3mtrs. Can I replace exiting tail with longer cable or is there a limit on how long the tails should be. 6mm2 cabling exits, same cooker being used.

Thank you,

Old spark :oops:

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:54 pm

There is nothing that says the cable must be less than a set length.

However it does say it needs to comply with things like volt drop and earth loop impedance which could not be complied with if too long.

There is also regulations on working in a kitchen within domestic premises oddly does not cover commercial and kitchen is defined as where there is a food preparation area.

Since you are asking about regulations then Part P is one to look at as in the main this means it costs more to DIY than get a scheme registered electrician to do the work.

The phrase "like for like" and "fixed" pop up and it is down to interpretation and there are a number of considerations.

1) Is it legal.
2) Does it comply with regulations (Not the same as being legal).
3) If not legal will it cause a problem. Will the LABC start court proceedings? Will it cause a problem with insurance? Will it cause a problem selling the property?
4) If it does not comply is there a real danger?

Personally I am more worried about 4) does it present a danger. And to ensure it is safe one needs to test. And unless one has access to earth loop impedance meters and the like then one does not know if safe and so you have to decide is it worth the risk?

oldspark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by oldspark » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:04 pm

Eric,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. The property under consideration for clarification is only 4 years old and all I want to do is replace the exiting tail which are two mtrs with a tail five mtrs in length. I am a retired electrician and from a legal/Part P perspective I though that it may be OK to change cooker tails. I can carry out prelimary tests with analogue meter for continuity etc., but from your reply it appears I now need to test fully with expensive equipment. Is my understanding correct, or would it be ok to undertake the cable change?

Season greetings and best wishes.

Oldspark

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:09 pm