Copper pipe connections
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marjean
Labourer
Labourer

Copper pipe connections

Post by marjean » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:52 am

I have recently had a oil fired boiler fitted and have noticed that some of the external joints (compression type fittings) that come from the oil tank are starting to weep. I noticed when the plumber fitted these he used some kind of red paste on the joints, is this the correct method?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:26 pm

Often compression joints used without any sealant will weep when used with oil.

Since the "olden" days, I have used a product called "Red Hermetite" which is a non setting sealant that is resistant to temperature and oils. This product or similar was used everywhere from car engines to oil installations.

I believe it is no longer available, but a similar product called Red Hylotyte can be found in most garages and car accessory shops.

Generally, I would say he has used the correct product, but of course that doesn't mean joints won't leak. Oil is a beast, because it doesn't evaporate, even the smallest weep from a joint will spread and appear worse than it actually is.

If the joint is leaking maybe a quick nip up will solve the problem, or perhaps some more sealant is required.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:27 pm

Yes. He probably used Rocol Super Red Pipe Jointing Compound. Its specially developed for sealing where oil resistant joints are required!!

I think you should get him back in to fix it.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1