Correct Adhesive to Affix new Slate House Number over old Ceramic one

Postby Halesowenmum » Mon May 25, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi

Outside my house there's currently a glazed ceramic house number firmly fixed in place. I have a new slate one to replace it with. I'd like to just put it over the top of the existing one using an adhesive. I just want to make sure I use the right one - be a bit sad if it fell off at the first frost and smashed on the floor!

And should I just apply adhesive to the back or also use some around all the edges to stop water seeping in (not necessary, or yes, but use a specific sealer as opposed to an adhesive)?

Thanks all.
Halesowenmum
Progress to next rank:
10.5%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby stoneyboy » Mon May 25, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi Halesowenmum,
I suggest you use kitchen and bathroom silicone sealant, you will have to support the new one while the silicone sets (12 hours). Use sufficient sealant so that it forms a continuous layer.
end
stoneyboy

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!