Corroded RSJ ? Suggested Remedy
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
buildstudent
Labourer
Labourer

Corroded RSJ ? Suggested Remedy

Post by buildstudent » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:16 pm

am a student studying for an HNC Construction, I have a question which I have no idea. Its to do with a Building Condition report for a 3 storey building with basement. They tell you that each floor is supported on 4 RSJs but they are in very poor condiion and corroded at both ends.

Could anyone help me as to what to do to remedy this problem in my hypothetical situation ??

Thanks

Alison :D

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi buildstudent,
Jack the floor and replace them, would be my answer!
KB

billy d
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by billy d » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:24 am

hi Alison K.B. has it right but its 2 problems in one. so lets start with No 1 in the basement examp if the building is 4m wide by 3m high if you have a window great get an RSJ in there 3.85 this goes to the far end of the building on the far side of the old RSJ ,is jacked up and it is importent that it stays there the old RSJ is removed and a new one put in place.the next 3 surport and replacement RSJ`s are put in place on the floor now,later there will not be any space.No2,3,4 Suport RSJ are now jacked in to place and the rusty ones replaced with the new ones The same procedure is repeated on the other floors.The trick is to leave the surport RSJ,s in so you can surport the next floor ,if you take them out you can only jack of the new RSJ which is no good at all get the idea.any way I hope it helps.If its not to late let me know and we can talk about the 2nd probleb.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:22 am