Corrugated Bitumen Sheet Fence and reducing traffic noise
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gramsky
Labourer
Labourer

Corrugated Bitumen Sheet Fence and reducing traffic noise

by Gramsky » Sat May 14, 2016 7:29 pm

The end of our back garden backs onto the main A2 road which is only about 20ft further away and at the same level. The existing 1.6m high timber feather edge boarded fence needs replacing and I want to built a fence which will also reduce the noise from the traffic and am thinking of using 2m high corrugated bitumen roofing sheets which I believe because of the corrugations and being more solid than the existing fence will reflect some of the noise. I intend fixing these to the outside of 75x75 square timber arris rails, feather edge boarding on the inside with loft insulation sandwiched between in a protective layer of Visqueen to keep it dry. All this will be fixed between the new 4x4 timber posts that will bolted to existing concrete spurs. Has anyone any experience of using these sheets for a similar purpose and how effective was it, the literature states the sheets should give a 7dB noise reduction.

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Corrugated Bitumen Sheet Fence and reducing traffic noise

by diydoctor6 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:14 am

I've not tried this solution, but it would be great to hear how effective it is.

The issue that you have is that the sound will take the path of least resistance and diffuse to reach you, even if you totally block any sound coming through the fence. The sound that comes over the fence will be impossible to stop completely.

That said, I am sure that every little helps.

Also consider other solutions such as dense trees to reduce the noise coming over the fence, or a water feature or 'noisy' grasses which will mask the traffic noise for when you are in the garden.

We go into a great deal more detail in our project on how to eleminate sound proofing: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/ex ... oofing.htm

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:34 am