Cost of Fitting Twenty 2x10 Inch Joists in Loft
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wrf12345
Labourer
Labourer

Cost of Fitting Twenty 2x10 Inch Joists in Loft

by wrf12345 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:23 pm

I have two load bearing walls running down the centre of my detached bungalow, spaced apart at 3.3m for an overall building width of 8m. I want to use this central space in the attic for storage so need to have twenty 2x10 joists fiited spaced at 40cm. These walls are interior only and I can supply 3.6m lengths of 2x10 but they are too heavy for me to get up into the loft myself. Access is thru a hatch in the (long) hallway and the gable roof is very high so there should not be a problem getting them up there. There is insulation running over the current joists plus wiring so the new joists would need to sit proud of the interior walls by an inch or two. Being a 1946 house the current joists are a bit undersized so no real use except for holding up the ceiling though safe enough when spanned over the hallway which would have to be the starting point for putting the new joists in. You would basically have to build it up one joist at a time outwards from the centre of the house so it would be a one or two man job rather than a whole team.

Just wondering what the approx cost would be (I am in Devon not London BTW)

DIYDoctor2
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Cost of Fitting Twenty 2x10 Inch Joists in Loft

by DIYDoctor2 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:03 pm

It would be best for a builder to come and assess the work. It is possible to be over confident about how easy work is to strengthen joists. Depending on where you are in Devon you can get quotes through Checkatrade who ensure that their tradesmen are qualified and insured. You can also see reviews from other customers to help you make your choice.

Try our Find a Tradesman page on the main site http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find-tradesmen/ Scroll down to the Checkatrade box and put your postcode in for a list of subscribed builders.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

michaelbailey
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Cost of Fitting Twenty 2x10 Inch Joists in Loft

by michaelbailey » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:42 pm

i'd ditch the 10" joists and go for lightweight metal web joists 'easijoist' recent loft conversion drawings done for 8m span wallplate to wallplate approx. 75£, each can't understand why more people aren't using them easy to install and run services through
Attachments
8 METRE JOIST-001.jpg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:39 pm