Could it be dampness that causes so much condensation
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Marshall
Labourer
Labourer

Could it be dampness that causes so much condensation

by Marshall » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi there,

I am having a nightmare trying to work out where all the condensation is coming from in my flat and it's been suggested that I may have dampness in my external stone wall that I can't see but is coming into the house and causing all of the condensation and streaming windows.

I wanted to get double glazing as my house always seems cold with single sash and case, but was advised by the guy who came out that double glazing wouldn't solve the problem and that I may have dampness. he didn't want to charge for double glazing when the original windows were fine and he suggested I have dampness, and once that goes the house may be warmer.

It's an old house that's been turned into 3 flats and I'm on the ground floor. the external walls are large stone but the inside are plasterboard attached at various points so sounds hollow to tap. This means I can't get to the walls to see if there's damp - to be honest I'd not really know what to look for anyway.

Areas that don't get much air movement get slight black spots in corners of the rooms, and plastic storage boxes that don't move for ages under the bed had like a musty film at bits. From what I've read this is caused by condensation? Plus every single window in my house streams with water from the minute I get up until I go to my bed. I can wipe the water and it's back pretty quickly.

Should I get someone out to look at damp proofing, should I get one of those meters and try to get through to the stone wall behind the plasterboard then get the hole repaired. I'm not sure what to think, the more I try to look it up the more confused i become.

I'd be really grateful if someone could help or point me in the right direction. I don't want to get charged a fortune for someone to come and do work that's unneccessary.

Thank you

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 am

Marshall,
You described the house as old so the chances are that it will have solid walls. Your first move is to see how damp your house is - buy a cheap hygrometer - if you get readings over 70% then damp is the problem.
You will need to ventilate your flat open the windows regularly and fit extractors in the bathroom and kitchen.
end

Marshall
Labourer
Labourer

by Marshall » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:36 am

Hi,

thanks for getting back to me. the house was built in 1850 - or there abouts so the external walls are huge stone squares (for lack of a better way to describe it). I'll pop to B&Q at the weekend and see if I can get one of those meters. Do I just put it against the plasterboard inside the house or against the walls outside? I don't have a clue, sorry.

The windows have been shut pretty much all winter as it's freezing but the bathroom one has a gap with a wind blowing through so that should be ventilated. tehre's a fan in the bathroom already and a cooker hood in the kitchen. It's a kitchen/livingroom with 2 big windows but I can see about getting another ventilation fan if that's the issue.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'll check what the readings are when I get the meter.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:26 pm

Marshall,
The hygrometer is just like a thermometer - you can move it about the house and get readings in each room.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:33 am