Coupling Steel Pipe to PVC Piping - Replumbing a Bungalow
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Maybesometime
Labourer
Labourer

Coupling Steel Pipe to PVC Piping - Replumbing a Bungalow

by Maybesometime » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi, I am re-plumbing my bungalow, built in the 50's, with PVC piping. The mains water comes up in the middle of the house in 22mm galvanised steel pipe. I need to move this over about 20cm.
I am looking for advice on how I can connect the steel pipe where I cut it to 15mm PVC piping. Can anybody help?

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Coupling Steel Pipe to PVC Piping - Replumbing a Bungalow

by proptech » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi
If you have measured the external diameter of the galvanised pipe, that is 1/2 inch steel. you will need to cut a 1/2 inch BSP taper thread if you intend cutting it. Is there any way you can avoid cutting it ?
If not, please come back with a bit more info, and I'll try to help.

Maybesometime
Labourer
Labourer

by Maybesometime » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:41 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have measured the outer diameter of the steel pipe as approx 22/23 mm not 1/2 inch. It rises through the concrete floor in the corner of the kitchen. My intention was to break the concrete and dig out around the pipe, then I have been told about a type of coupling either 'mission' or 'Johnson' that I can use to connect the steel pipe to a PVC pipe. Hopefully as I dig out I may expose a joint which will make things easier.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

by proptech » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:25 pm

If you can expose enough to remove the section - job done, just go straight to plastic from the fitting below the floor. I repeat that size is 1/2 inch BSP, external diameter about 7/8 in old money, that will be the size of the plastic fitting adaptor required. Can't say I've ever seen a Johnson that small, but you may be lucky enough in your plumbers merchants.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:44 pm