Covering Electrics
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sanfair
Labourer
Labourer

Covering Electrics

by sanfair » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:05 pm

We had a new kitchen put in recently and all the electrics had to be rewired as they were pretty old and not up to current regulations. They did however leave some of them exposed.
I want to get tiling and am not sure on the best way to cover them up, the boxes don't seem to be a regulation size for anything I've seen at a hardware store.

[/url]

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:20 pm

Hi sanfair,
your electrician should have done this there strict regulations concerning electrical installation in kitchens. Has your electrician signed this work off yet as it must comply to part p of building regulations.
If the cables are not buried at least 50mm from the surface of the wall (thats both side of wall!)
Then the cables should run in the vertical and horizontal safe zones this means that cables should run at direct right angles of each other in the vertical and horizontal plain of switches or socket-outlets, or within 150mm from top of wall and 150mm of ajoining angles of walls or be protected from mechanical damage by using either metal conduit or metal plate coverings.
BS7671:2008 522.6.6

Hope not too confusing but this is important, If you are unsure of anything I have mentioned, I will try to explain better.
Try get your electrician back to finish his work off correctly.
Regards
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:42 pm