Coving ending at a stairwell
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
colinf1
Labourer
Labourer

Coving ending at a stairwell

by colinf1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Folks, I've seen a few topics on the subject of coving, but none address the issue i have.

I'm putting coving in a downstairs hallway, and I can't quite figure out what to do when I reach the stairwell. Because of the way our stairs run, the ceiling ends at either side of the stairs.

The end pieces will be highly visible to anyone using the stairs, so my question is how do I tidily "finish" it?

I could always just end flush with the end of the wall, and fill the gaps but that might look a bit ropey.

A joiner friend suggests "putting a wee return on it" I think I know what he means, basically end it like a mini external corner, but not actually going round the corner, but my wife reckons a "decorative end piece" would look better.

Trouble is, i can't seem to find any.

Anyone any other suggestions?

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi colin, I think that I would use an external corner cut then use a piece to fit on the end of that so that it ends with a proper mitre finish. Cut an external corner using a scrap piece of coving and offer that up to the ceiling at the correct angle and mark the wall then get someone to hold that in place or use couple of small pins to hold it. After this Hold up another piece and cut it to the angle that you will need so that you get a good fit. Then remove, put up the piece that is going in there and then put the end piece you have made on to that. It should look like 2 external corners in the end but without it going around the corner. Easier to do than write about lol. If you don't like the look of that you can just use some scrap bits and mess about with them until you get the finish you want. Good luck.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:26 pm

When coming to staircase at the end of the ceiling where the wall returns upwards make an internal cut and return it so it looks like it goes into the wall. If i had a pic i could have showen you but this is my best description.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:23 am